Thursday, February 23, 2006

Constant Cravings

"Forbidden fruit" often refers to any indulgence or pleasure deemed by the Great Unwashed to be illegal, immoral, and potentially dangerous or harmful to oneself. In my case, the definition should be expanded to include those guilty delights that are a million kilometers away from me - a million kilometers measurable in distance and by the general mind-set of my host country. So, entering month 5 of my Moroccan idyll, I feel like I have earned the right to whine (more than I already have & generally do) about the foods I'm missing from back home. So yes, this is going to be incredibly self-referential, mindnumbingly selfish, egocentric and at times, may appear to be a free plug for Tourism Nova Scotia. So I ask that you indulge my appetite to find voice for my cravings. Or just stop reading now. Or better yet, grab a pen & start making your grocery list.

(in Random Order)

1) A "Dom" martini from The Fireside in Halifax (to be imbibed with Chris, Wanda & Heather)
2) A hot greasy sugar donut (or cinnamon) - must be a "cake" donut, not "yeast" - preferably homemade, but a close second goes to the Donut Machine in Dartmouth
3) A big bowl of chana masala with hot naam bread & maybe a few pappadums on the side
4) A grain burger & a side of coleslaw from the Old Triangle Irish Alehouse (again in Halifax - hey Franko, remember going there for a few pints with me & Chrisso?
5) Caffeine-free diet cola by President's Choice, although Coke will do in a pinch
6) Natural peanut butter (i.e. just nuts, no shit)
7) A lemon & poppyseed muffin
8) A falafel from Ray's in Halifax - voted the best falafel for a gazillion years in a row and light-years better than the falafel at my neighbourhood Lebanese restaurant
9) A vegetarian spring roll - guess what Morocco? - shrimp ain't a vegetable!
10) Bud the Spud's famous French Fries - Halifax's premier chip wagon - with malt vinegar
11) An "everything" bagel with cream cheese from the Great Canadian Bagel on Spring Garden Road (in Halifax & naturally with Heather)
12) Several pints of anything
Propeller brews - preferably their Bitter
13) Pesto - anything with pesto. On a fork will do.
14) Low-fat Wheat Thins (a guilty little confession, that)
15) Provalone cheese
16) Crinkle chips & French onion chip dip
17) Cookies & Cream Tofutti Cutie (think "Eskimo" bar but so much better)
18) A Boca chik'n burger with Mom's chili sauce
19) Sodas with Italian syrups (hazelnut please)
20) Pickles, especially kosher dills, sweet & sours, & yum-yums (pickle Franko?)
21) Twizzlers (strawberry only)
22 a) Nature's Path Flaxplus Pumpkin granola bars - the best granola bar ever!
22 b) Nature's Path GingerZing granola cereal - the best cereal ever!
23) Roasted red pepper dip
24) Real celery (don't ask)
25) 7 Grain bread toasted with Mom's homemade strawberry jam prepared by Chris on weekend mornings, which leads us into ...
26) Any wholewheat or multigrain bread product (i.e. anything not white)
27) A veggie dog with mustard & relish
28) A grilled cheese sandwich from the Knot pub in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
29) Maple syrup (why the hell didn't I bring any?)
30) A Crispy Crunch (that's a chocolate bar for the uninitiated - a candy bar for my Amurrican friends)

... so if anyone from home is planing on popping by, you've got your list.

addendum: hmmmmm, compiling this little list (and I did practice much self-restraint) didn't make me feel any better. Damn.

9 Comments:

Blogger Me and my camera said...

The grilled cheese at the Knot was so good you put it in twice? Nice thing about the Knot, is that you can watch a football game, and with your specialty coffee, you get a free plastic bucket, right Chrisso?

BTW, I don't specifically remember the Triangle Pub - is it possible we had already had a few at several other pubs before we went there? Or is that the one that we went into during that spring snowstorm last year, just before you guys drove me to the airport?

BTW, you didn't mention Catelle Pasta Sauce (but only the ones made in Montreal)...

8:22 p.m.  
Blogger Di Mackey said...

Do you know ... the oddest thing happened on Tuesday. I walked in the British Store here in Belgium and was stunned and amazed by the fact that so much of the food 'from home' was there on the shelves.

Contrary witch that I be, deep down in a hidden pocket, I felt disappointed that I could finally satisfy so many cravings for food from NZ ... finding one thing was a triumph, finding a whole store changed the nature of the triumph.

Bizarre ...but true.

8:23 p.m.  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

Alas Knarf - the Knot grilled cheese is that good. Thanks for the editorial head's up though. The luncheon at the Triangle was your second suggestion.
Damn - I'll update my blog later & add the Catelli pasta sauce. Only in Quebec eh?

8:54 p.m.  
Blogger Me and my camera said...

Well, you can get Catelli sauce in other places than Quebec, but the Montreal sauce tastes different, remember? You do know what I'm referring to, no?

BTW, the sauce was a joke, because it's the meat sauce that one must buy, and I know that meat is verboten...

9:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I would have to agree with everything on your list. Especially #12 :)

9:47 p.m.  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

How's this for code Knarf: F.U.C.

9:51 p.m.  
Blogger Me and my camera said...

chrisso, if I might make a suggestion - just mix in a lighter beer with the porter - what do you call that again? Um, I forget now...

What is it again? raf and raf?

10:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lived in Kitchener all those years and don't miss sauerkraut???

9:52 p.m.  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

An error of omission, I assure you.

10:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search Engine Optimization and Free Submission