Sunday, July 08, 2007

Where's the Kaboom?

Fast on the heels of my Friday night adult class telling me that the government should have carte blanche in censoring the media, it was announced this weekend that Morocco's security alert had been raised to maximum. Now for those of you who are a little hazy on the ins & outs of 'maximum', it strongly suggests that some sort of nasty act of terrorism by a radical Islamist sect is on the horizon.

A senior European diplomat said the most widespread speculation among his colleagues was Moroccan authorities feared the possibility of a suicide bomb attack at the peak of the summer tourist season."We have no precise information on that but it is the scenario the most talked about by foreign diplomats here," he said.

Unlike my students, I think the press should have a little bit of elbow room when it comes to reporting the news; in fact, some of that 'precise information' would go a long way right now. With visitors to and denizens of one of the world's 'corrupt Muslim governments' flocking to the country's royal cities, the coastal towns of the North, its beaches & mountains to while away their summer vacations, perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing to drop a hint or two to the public at large - what exactly are the perceived targets. If I were a parent, I might like to know whether or not my weekend plans will include the possibility of waiting in a triage centre while shrapnel is removed from my child's sternum.

The ministry urged Moroccans to be more vigilant and support the country's efforts against the threat of terrorism, adding more police were being deployed to step up surveillance.

Feel better?

My students are of the learned opinion that Marrakech is the likeliest spot for an act of terrorism.
Almost unanimously, they tell me that Marrakech is the most beautiful city in Morocco - although I have had a grand total of 3 students who assert that Ouarzazate holds that coveted crown (I have tears of laughter in my eyes as I type this) - many have even suggested that Marrakech is the most beautiful city in the world. It is not; I have repeatedly told them this. They also tell me that because Marrakech is the most beautiful city in Morocco - and possibly the most beautiful city in the world (it is not; I have repeatedly told them this), evil-doers want to destroy this perfect of cities.

They are probably right - if I were a
suicide bomber (SB), and not quite as half-baked as the last bunch in Casa, I'd know that I could wreak maximum damage in the Djemaa el-Fna – Marrakech's tourist Mecca extravaganza. But I would also probably target the morally debased Casablanca and its evil Western businesses or perhaps even Rabat, with all of its evil foreign embassies and where the king of this 'corrupt Muslim government' resides. (When he's not in Marrakech, the most beautiful city in Morocco - and possibly the most beautiful city in the world - which it isn't ).

So it's been three days and all is quiet;
thus far, there's been no incident. Touch wood. Nonetheless, I am tempted to quote Marvin the Martian and ask, "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!" Not that I'm not relieved, but what happened? Perhaps the SBs were rattled. Rattled by this, the "... first time Moroccan authorities have used clear language and precise words about the terrorist threat." Yeesh.

12 Comments:

Blogger Luciano Bove said...

Hallo, just came across this cool Blog..see you around!

9:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to hoping there's no actual threat. (Oops, you may not have a drink - I'll drink two - just kidding). Have you decided on your next adventure?

3:19 a.m.  
Blogger Me and my camera said...

Perhaps the problem with the lack of Kaboom is that the terrorists are using The Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

I seem to recall that Marvin often had problems with his...

1:01 p.m.  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

Always the weakest link when trying to destroy Earth.

1:32 p.m.  
Blogger Jillian said...

Here you go again, giving the SBs ideas...

8:26 p.m.  
Blogger cory said...

Marrakesh isn't the most beautiful city on earth? i'm confused.

5:30 p.m.  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

Cory: I'm more than willing to concede that Marrakech is a beautiful city - but is it the most beautiful city in Morocco? Maybe. In the world ... noooooooooo !!!!

6:43 p.m.  
Blogger cory said...

no, i really feel like your students are correct on this one. Paris, Rome, Venice: these are all nothing when you compare them with the timeless beauty of Marrakech. consider, for instance, the... umm... well... i'm sure there's something beautiful in Marrakech. they've got that new cyber park, after all...

2:58 p.m.  
Blogger Me and my camera said...

We have no cyber park here in Toronto.

Not that Toronto was ~ever~ the most beautiful city in the world, or even in the running for same.

However, without a cyber park, we can never aspire to such an honour...

3:39 p.m.  
Blogger lady macleod said...

I did not hear this from the embassy. A bit frightening albeit I don't expect they (whomever they are) will come after us in the Oudayas.

I have a link for you; I had an interview and gave you a wee plug. I hope you get some extra traffic for your excellent and informative site.
www.expatinterviews.com/morocco/crickett-carlisle-aka-lady-macleod.html

7:43 p.m.  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

Thanks for the plug Lady M. As for the cyber park, Rabat doesn't have one either ... we do have 1,258,835 cyber cafes though ... does that count? And Cory, let's not forget the Koutoubia Mosque - an architectural marvel if there ever were one.

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger Jillian said...

Gee, really. It ought to have made it on to the New Seven Wonders list.

2:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search Engine Optimization and Free Submission