Saturday, July 29, 2006

How I (Almost) Became an International Terrorist

From the Royal Air Maroc website:

Items Prohibited in Passenger Compartment:
Firearms, Bladed Weapons, or any sort of cutting item is prohibited in the passenger compartment.


So, imagine my horror when I found, zipped inside an inner pocket of the courier bag that I use as my travelling purse, my Swiss Army knife. Now I have travelled a bit in my time and I certainly am aware that our post-911 world frowns upon carry-on luggage that includes firearms, tweezers, wet cell batteries & the like, so I began to panic because I had already checked my luggage and I didn't want the ground staff at Terminal 3 to confiscate my knife.

But ~ oh wait! What was I thinking? I had already passed through security; indeed, my courier bag had already been scanned by not one but two x-ray machines.

Phew! I felt better. Or did I?

Addendum: I am mindful of Mr. N's post-flight observation when, last week, British Airways gave him a real (i.e., not plastic) glass in which to drink his onboard champagne. As he said, "terrorists don't drink champagne". I got orange juice.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

Maybe that's it! - couscous is a secret weapon not a "tasty" treat. It's all so clear now. Knarf is due on Wednesday. I think we should start a small pool for wagers.

2:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home.
I look forward to my souvenir scimitar.

2:49 p.m.  
Blogger Di Mackey said...

Oh oh oh ... I was away from your site too long.

Enjoy 'home' ... I remember my home as delcious, and so easy after being out for a while.

5:59 p.m.  
Blogger Me and my camera said...

Didn't we talk about the Swiss knife the other day? Didn't I tell you to make sure you put it in your luggage?

Yes I did!

And did you listen to me?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

;-)

Well, glad to hear you're safely ensconced in Halifax. Allah willing, I'll be there to see ya in a coupla days. Can't wait!!

6:21 p.m.  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

Yes Knarf, you did. I didn't know it was in my bag - thought I was leaving it behind in my other purse. I moved the explosives though to my checked baggage

1:38 a.m.  
Blogger Me and my camera said...

You know, C in R, not that I want to nag you or anything (who, me?), but you ought not make jokies about explosive devises in your luggage. You never know who's looking in on your blog. For instance, what if I were to call the airport in Halifax with your flight number (which I'll get from Mom, because she knows these things), and give them the url for your little blog. What would happen then? (keep in mind that this is only a hypothetical; I'd never actually do that, unless you really piss me off when I'm down in Halifax - not that you should construe this as a threat or anything).

You'd be right some pissed if you couldn't get on the plane due to some offhand allegedly humourous remark made on the Blog, wouldn't you. And you'd have no one to blame but yourself. I won't feel sorry for you, Chrisso won't feel sorry for you, Mom won't feel sorry for you, for you'd be the author of your own misfortune...

;-)

11:39 a.m.  
Blogger Me and my camera said...

Okay, maybe Chrisso would feel a ~bit~ sorry for you.

11:40 a.m.  
Blogger Sencer said...

hey, i made it, hi from morocco! My charism didn't work at the Turkish airport; the guy charged 200€ for 15 kg. excess baggage. 12€ per kg., although on RAM website it is written as 6€. What a shame!
The city is cool, my flat seems fine. Lord, no one speaks English here,and of course no Turkish, or German.
I either picked the wrong country to teach or wasted my years learning a wrong foreign language.

I am waiting to read more of your posts The Cat. Return quick, morocco missed you. :)
cheers,
sench

4:16 p.m.  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

Hey Senser, congrats on the safe arrival - where are you teaching?

9:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I'm not bitter or anything, but yesterday in the Casa airport they confiscated my son's plastic lego sword--i.e. the one that's 1 1/2 inches long. Yep. And then served us a meal with a plastic knife that was at least as dangerous. And you got through with an actual weapon? Grr...is there no justice in the world?

5:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search Engine Optimization and Free Submission